Confirmation for youth in 7th-12th Grades
Putting the love of Christ into action. Living our Catholic faith through service.
Confirmation Parent Meeting:
Tuesday, September 13, 6:00 p.m. - Aquinas Room
First Day of Classes: Sunday, September 18, 2022, time:
10:30 a.m. - 11:30/noon - in person
“Run, jump, make noise, but do not sin” - St. John Bosco
We are so happy to announce that we are moving our Confirmation program to 18 months, rather than the previous 2 years. There will be a few changes to make this happen, but we saw that last year, all were happy with this new timing. Year 1 will take place September 18, 2022 - May 2023, and Year 2 will take place September 18, 2022 - Confirmation Day (February 2023 date TBD).
All classes and youth ministry meetings will take place in person on Sunday mornings, 10:30-11:30 or noon during the 2022-23 school year, unless YM is replaced with a service project or activity on a Saturday or Monday (Thanksgiving food drive).
7th-12th GRADE YOUTH MINISTRY (YM)
- St. Dominic's Confirmation Program is an 18-month program open for students to begin in the 7th-11th grades and comprises the following:
- We meet once per month for class using the "Chosen" program from Ascension Press. Class takes place on Sunday mornings from 10:30-12:00 noon.
- One - two Youth Ministry meetings required per month. YM meetings will occur on alternate Sundays from class.
- Weekly Mass attendance and signed programs submitted.
- One Homily reflection submitted per semester (due in December and March).
- 10 hours of community service - due January of Year 2.
- First Year Confirmation Students have a 3 hour retreat on a Saturday morning in November, plus various service opportunities, Las Posadas, etc.
- Second Year Confirmation Students have a full day retreat (date TBD), a Saints Fair near Confirmation time, letters of intent to our pastor and the presiding bishop, and an interview in December.
- St. Dominic's Youth Ministry (YM) is for students in grades 7 and 8, and all who are in our Confirmation program. At YM we encounter the love of Christ and grow in following Him with joy and courage. Our activities connect Catholic teens with God and each other. All students preparing for Confirmation are already registered with YM. During the school year, September through May, YM meets on most Sundays from 10:30-11:30 am in the school building. We also plan service projects, Bible studies, game-nights, urban adventures, Catholic-themed guest speakers, retreats, and youth participation at Masses. Contact Kathleen at email@example.com or (415) 567-7824 ext. 111 for more information. Students may sign up for Youth Ministry only, who are not in our Confirmation program.
- Online 2022-23 Registration for YM-Confirmation: Each year, students' parents must register or renew their student each year before they may attend a YM or Confirmation event. Register for Confirmation no later than Sept. 11, 2022.
- 2022-23 YM-Confirmation Waiver: Each year, a parent-signed waiver must be printed and paper-submitted or scanned and emailed in order for the student to attend a YM event. The waivers are available in the parish office at 2390 Bush St.
- 2022-23 YM-Confirmation Fee: YM is $200 for the year. If the student is in Confirmation 2 preparation, there is an extra $75 fee. No one is turned away due to lack of funds. Pay online through the link or submit a check made out to "St. Dominic's Church." For more information, or to inquire about scholarships, contact the Director of YM-Confirmation, Kathleen Folan, at firstname.lastname@example.org or (415) 567-7824 ext. 111.
- 2021-22YM-Confirmation Calendar
CONFIRMATION & SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION FOR TEENS
Youth Confirmation is a two-year journey of initiation in the Catholic community, strengthening in the Holy Spirit, and maturing discipleship of Jesus Christ. Our youth Confirmation program is open to those in grades 7-12, with sessions beginning each September. Monthly Confirmation classes are held during the school year once a month on Sundays from September through May, either at 10:30am-12pm or 3:45pm-5:15pm. Either way, Confirmation students must attend weekly Mass and participate in at least 1 Youth Ministry (YM) events each month, which meets the other Sundays from 4pm-5:15pm, and turn in 1 At-Home Assignment. For information contact Kathy at email@example.com or (415) 567-7824 ext. 111. For more details and the expectations of parents in Confirmation see the Overview of 2-Year Confirmation Program. RCIA-for-Youth, which includes preparation for Baptism, reception into the Catholic Church, and First Communion, is available to coincide with our Confirmation program for the same 2 years, with classes on Sundays from 3:15-3:45. This can be done in conjunction with participation in YM-Confirmation. Please register on the Confirmation/Youth Ministry registration form. Please contact Kathy at firstname.lastname@example.org or 415-567-7824 x111.
- To download or print out the make-up assignments for a monthly class that you missed, click on: Confirmation Make-ups Assignments.
The Confirmation Parent Meetings for 2020-21 will be:
- For Year 1 and 2 Parents: Thursday, September 17th, 6:30 PM in the Aquinas Room.
- The Confirmation Classes this year (student and parent orientation) begin September 20 at 10:30am or 3:45pm.
- Parent Engagement each month is required for all parents of Confirmation candidates. Here is a list of examples of parent engagement:
- Sunday “Practical Faith” series during all monthly Confirmation classes
- Alpha--For anyone who is curious about Christianity, Mondays, 7-9pm, Fall & Summer seasons, (email@example.com)
- Bible Study--Women's Group, Gospel of John, Tuesdays, 9am-11:00am w/ childcare (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- RCIA (to become Catholic, receive Confirmation, or for a refresher)--Tues, 7pm-9pm(email@example.com)
- Christian Meditation Group—Wed., 7pm-8pm (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Volunteer in a liturgical ministry (email@example.com)
- Volunteer in a youth or children’s ministry (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- A retreat, First-Friday Eucharist Adoration, reading a spiritual book, weekday Mass, or various other opportunities that might work for your schedule and needs.
To sign-up for Confirmation or RCIA-for-Youth, register above for 7-8th Gr. YM-Confirmation.